A unique version of the new 2017 Camaro SS 50th Anniversary Edition will lead the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500. It's the ninth time Camaro has served as the Pace Car and the 27th time for Chevrolet, dating back to 1948. With 455 horsepower on tap, the Camaro SS Pace Cars require no engine modifications to lead the racing field.
This year's Pace Car will be driven by motorsport legend Roger Penske, who is marking 50 years as a race team owner. From opening his first Chevy dealership in Philidelphia to Team Penske winning the Indy 500 in 2015, Roger Penske's collaboration with Chevrolet spans decades.
For 2016, Chevrolet drivers will be looking to build on last year’s results of the Greatest Spectacle in Racing, when the top four finishers were powered by Chevy, led by race winner and Team Penske driver Juan Pablo Montoya.
Camaro edición 50° Aniversario
The 50th Anniversary Edition honors the distinctive looks and performance that have always set Camaro apart. It's offered on 2LT and 2SS coupe and convertible models, all with Nightfall Gray Metallic exteriors featuring a 50th Anniversary stripe package and badges and a black top on convertibles.
The specially prepared Abalone White Pace Cars differ in exterior color, but share the Anniversary Edition package’s stripes and other content features, including:
- Specific 20-inch 50th Anniversary wheels
- Parrilla exclusiva con detalles cromados satinados
- Divisor delantero del color de la carrocería
- Calipers de freno color Naranja (delanteros solo en el LT)
- Interior exclusivo de piel color Negro con detalles gamuzados y costuras decorativas color Naranja
- Detalles del 50 aniversario distintivos en el panel de instrumentos, respaldos, volante y molduras iluminadas
- El 2LT incluye el paquete RS Appearance
The Camaro 2LT comes standard with a 2.0L turbo engine rated at 275 hp (205 kW) and a 335-hp (250 kW) 3.6L V6 is available. The Camaro 2SS features the LT1 6.2L V8, which offers 455 hp (339 kW), making it the most powerful Camaro SS ever. Each engine is available with a 6-speed manual or an 8-speed automatic transmission.
Camaro Pace Cars through the years
• 1967 RS/SS Convertible
• 1969 RS/SS Convertible
• 1982 Z28 Coupe
• 1993 Z28 Coupe
• 2009 SS Coupe (2010 model)
• 2010 SS Coupe
• 2011 SS Convertible
• 2014 Z/28 Coupe
• 2016 Camaro SS (2017 50th Anniversary Edition)